TPI Research and Publications
- Parent Category: RokStories
- Published on Thursday, 11 June 2009 06:12
- Hits: 13175
Experience the first program of its kind in Ontario. The Transracial Parenting Initiative was designed specifically for multiracial families created through foster care and adoption.
The Literature Review report presents an overview of some of the existing research and literature on transracial parenting, and highlights some issues to consider for practitioners working with prospective parents.
The literature review provides readers with:
- An introduction to the historical factors that underlie issues surrounding transracial adoption/foster care;
- An overview of important influences on identity formation and some of the unique issues transracial adoptees and foster children experience using the Cultural-Racial Identity Model;
- A review of the characteristics practitioners can look for in prospective parents;
- An examination of the role and responsibilities of service providers working with transracial families.
The literature review is a starting point for practitioners to explore some of the issues related to transracial parenting and to enhance their knowledge base.
Transracial Parenting Initiative: Literature Review
Transracial Parenting Initiative: Program Launch Handout